Saturday, February 23, 2013

No worries...just words

Hello my fearless sharers of information.  I realized long ago that I was destined to leave information for others to read and then wait patiently for their response.  I guess that was when I was in the fifth grade and I asked Angela Wilson if she wanted to be my friend.  Then I left two check boxes: one for "no" and one for "yes".  But I digress.  Here are this weeks super links:
The Lord of the Flies which is a great read for those of you unable to purchase the novel.  Be certain to use the vocabulary list while reading and identify words that you want to add.  Additionally, to my Darker Face of the Earth readers,  this information should provide great insight while completing your "About the Author" project.  Happy reading and remember to respond to these three questions as you read:
 


1. How can I use context clues to understand new words?
 
2. How can parts of words help me determine the meaning of an unknown word?

3.Why is it important to learn new vocabulary words?


Enjoy your week!



19 comments:

  1. Hello my fellow classmates this is Quentourcia . I think the way you can use context clues to determine the meaning of a word is by looking in the front and back of the word and seeing what the tone and situation is. You can also look at the prefix and suffix of the word and determine their meaning and it will help. Finding the root word also help determine the meaning. It is important to learn new words because it broads your vocabulary and a growing mind is a great mind. On another note you can read more than one sentence around the word and look at what the situation is and it may help you . Learning new words and ways to know the definition is very important it will help in the long run

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Quentourcia! You are first! Kudos! Welcome to blogging. This weekend, we're going to give you a chance to talk about "The Darker Face of the Earth".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is T'Erika Porter. At First I was unsure of what to do with this blog. Now I'm active and ready to start blogging. The Darker Face of the Earth is a play written by Rita Dove. It is based off the Greek Mythology Oedipus. Context clues are sources of information surrounding a word that readers use to help predict the meaning of an unknown word. Context Clues help you predict the meaning of the word by giving you hints and clues that you already know. The clues can be definitions, descriptive words, and opposites. Parts of the word can help you determine the meaning. Root words, prefixes, and suffixes are examples of parts of the words. It is important to learn new vocabulary words so that when you're writing you won't seem repetitive. It keeps your writing interesting. So long for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up! This is Terrell Johnson. Im currently reading the Novel " Lord Of The Flies ". its a pretty interesting and entertaining read. But using context clues are very helpful as I'm reading and stumble across a word or words I don't understand and I search around around the word to find the meaning. Parts of the word can very much help you understand . Breaking the word down to its pre fixes my suffixes gets you understanding for example the word "tricycle" let's you know you dealing with three something. And increasing you vocabulary is a must to me learning new and bigger words is exciting it helps you explore your possibilities of reading and writing. But have a great day. C ya Soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is D'Asia Martin reading the Novel" Lord of The Flies". so far i only read to chapter 3 and i think the book is a great book. it is very entertaining and fun to read. im really loving the character piggy from my understanding he is kind of smart and funny. using context clues can help you understand the words much better than just guessing what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,this is Ke'Mondra Barber to understanding " Lord of The Flies" you have to know the definition of context clues.Context Clues are sources of information outside of words that readers may use to predict the identities and meanings of unknown words. The way you can use context clues are using the words that come before and after unfamiliar words. Structural analysis is part of breaking down the word with the prefix, suffix, and the root of the word. With this strategy you learn the little words that makes up the big word. Expanding your vocabulary is very important because using all these words shows how intelligent you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello this is Martavia Colins I'm reading "The Lord of the flies." I can use context clues to understand unfamiliar words by looking at words around the outlandish word, making an inference, and using prior knowledge. Prefixes,suffixes and root words can help you determine what the word means. It is important to learn new vocabulary words so you won't keep using the same words over and over in your writing and your story wont look so dull and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, this is LaTasha McPherson from your 4th period class reading the Novel "Lord of The Flies". I'm enjoying the book so far and as I read on the book get more interested. I can use context clues to understand new words by reading before and after the word to help me understand better. Parts of the word can help me determine the meaning of the word by looking at the root word that way it can help me figure out the meaning of the whole word. It is important to learn new vocabulary words because it can help strengthen your vocabulary, also expand it. So when you have to write essays instead of using small words we can use more bigger and intelligent vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I'm Tyler Henry. I am reading the Novel" Lord of the Flies". I can use context clues by looking through the sentence and see how the word is being used. The prefix and suffix determines what the word means. It is important to learn new vocabulary words because it would give you a broad vocabulary, it would help you out with writing assignments and give u a better understanding of words u don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What it do! This Andrew Crawford reading the Novel" Lord of The Flies". And i think you can use context clues when you come to a new word when you are reading you can sometimes figure out what the word means by thinking about the words around it. Sometimes the context clues come before the new word and sometimes they come after it. And parts of words can help me determine the meaning of a word cause words sometimes put the meaning in the word and you think about the part of the word that you are given and go from there. And it is important to learn new words cause you can have a strong vocabulary and when people talk to you in they use unknown words you will know the word and be able to respond off the word. And so that you could use your new vocabulary and talk to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, this is Emeishia Harris and I haven't read the whole story. So far I have only read up to chapter 4 and I think this book is gonna be interesting. I think you can use context clues to understnad a new word by a synonym. A synonym is a word that means the same as or nearly the same as another word. Also you can use prefixes and suffixes to help you understand the meaning of a word. I also think it is important to learn new vocabulary words because it helps you get a better understanding of the word and what's going on in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi , this Destiny Haigler i am reading this novel " The Lord Of Flies " I'm enjoying the book. I can use context clues to understand new words by reading after and before the word. Parts of a word can help me determine the meaning of unknown words will help me build my vocabulary and improve my reading skills. Its important to learn new words because it would strength your vocabulary and learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mr. Porter, this is Julius. When I read the book, “The Lord of the Flies” my thought was that it is a test of courage, bravery, and leadership. If you ask me, using context clues is a great way to understand new words that you are unfamiliar with by finding or looking up a number of statements to help you understand the meaning of a new word. Different parts of words can also help you determine the meaning of an unknown word by breaking that word down into syllables. If you know the meaning of the word, you may be able to figure out the meaning of the word itself. It is very important to learn new vocabulary words because it helps you in everyday life. For example, it may help you in stuff like reading a dictionary, a book, or a newspaper. It’s very important to understand a word by it meaning because it helps you in many ways you can imagine, and plus it keeps reading interesting as you read. So that’s all for now and see ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, this Marrionna Courtland Reading the novel "Lord of the Flies". I can use context clues to understand new words by reading after and before the word. Are source of information outside of words that readers may use to predict the identities and meaning of unknown words.It is important to learn new vocabulary to strength your vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Mr. Porter, this is Julius. When I read the book, “The Lord of the Flies” my thought was that it is a test of courage, bravery, and leadership. If you ask me, using context clues is a great way to understand new words that you are unfamiliar with by finding or looking up a number of statements to help you understand the meaning of a new word. Different parts of words can also help you determine the meaning of an unknown word by breaking that word down into syllables. If you know the meaning of the word, you may be able to figure out the meaning of the word itself. It is very important to learn new vocabulary words because it helps you in everyday life. For example, it may help you in stuff like reading a dictionary, a book, or a newspaper. It’s very important to understand a word by it meaning because it helps you in many ways you can imagine, and plus it keeps reading interesting as you read. So that’s all for now and see ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi this is Ieshia Blue, I haven't read the whole story. The Lord Of The Flies. I use context clues to understand what I'm reading. Parts of the word help me determine meaning of words when reading something I don't understand. It's important to learn new vocabulary to help your speech skills. Vocabulary words can also strengthen your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi this is Kyana Jones from 5th period , I can use context clues to help me understand a word . I look how they word is used in the sentence and it reallt helps me understand what i am reading. It helps you make an image of whats going on in the story . Context clues is very important if you ask me .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi this is Keona Sales i havent read the whole story but the parts that i have read were good.Sometimes i dont understand what i am reading but i go back and read context clues to help me.when you realize what you are reading it helps place a visual in your mind about what is really going on in the story. at first i thougjht it was boring but now it is quite interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, this is Lapreisha Russ from 2nd period. The Darker Face of the Earth is a play written by Rita Dove. It is based off the Greek Mythology Oedipus. We have completed the book and had a test on The Darker Face of the Earth. Context clues are words or phrases that is used to help you better understand a word. Parts of words can help you determine the meaning of an unknown word ; such as using synonyms, antonyms, descriptions, summaries, & visual context clues. It is important to learn new vocabulary because vocabulary is a crucial element in language development. Words, and the associated meanings to words, are the basis of communication. Also, learning new words and what they mean will help you a lot in the long run and in the future.

    ReplyDelete