I got my first lesson in pressure when I owned a Ford Ranger. It needed a new hose, so I had one of my "shade tree mechanic" friends replace it for me. We did not pay attention to any SPECS for the Ford, we just attached the new hose. A few days later, I noticed that my truck would periodically stall, and it never seemed to ride as smooth as it had in the past. Some time later, I was getting ready to get on the road, and I brought my truck in for a tuneup...you know, I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the road. When the mechanic came to me to give me the run-down on my services, I remember him telling me that the pressure was off in one of my hoses, and it had led to some other issues, but everything was fine now. Immediately, I reflected on that hose I had a friend replace because I wanted to save some money on repairs. That was my first lesson in pressure.
When I had that hose installed, my friend didn't have any gauges to check the pressure, he just knew how to replace my damaged hose. I guess neither one of us took any thought about the pressure differences, so it never was taken into consideration. All these memories came rushing back to me when I was having a discussion with my wife. She and I have different pressure points, and it would be ludicrous of me to attempt to apply my pressure standards to hers. Romans 12:3 reminds us that, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." One of the most pivotal things you can do in any relationship is not confuse pressure points. That doesn't mean that one person is stronger or weaker, just that they are different, and this diffence must be accounted for when we talk to one another. Just like my truck began to run rough when the pressure was off, our relationships can become rough and rocky when we make assumptions about the pressure gauges in someone else's life. If we are not careful, our lack of sensitivity in one area can lead to other problems, and we will find ourselves throwing up our hands in frustration.
Remember, my first error was that I did not check with the SPECS, prior to hooking up the hose. Who better to consult when life is in need of repair than our heavenly father? Psalm 139, reminds us of how God knows us completely and will always be with us. Prior to your next conversation with a spouse or loved one, remember to consult life's spec sheet, and find out what the Lord says about it. This has helped me thru the years. Remember, we all have a measure of grace, there is no one size fits all...
Big Amen to this my brother, very insightful and enlightening.
ReplyDelete